We have told you about Nikon’s official announcement of manufacturing the 800mm f/5.6 VR Super Telephoto Lens in one of our previous posts. Now the word is out, Nikon has officially launched the giant lens with a price tag of $17,900.
Nikon, in an official press release informed that there’s another venture to invest on apart from luxury cars or large bungalows, which is, buying this lens. The lens weighs around 4.59kg and is really feature studded. It is built for special purpose and hence it has been assigned with the features and building elements so special.
The AF-S NIKKOR 800mm f/5.6E FL ED VR offers the longest focal length of 800 mm in the history of NIKKOR autofocus (AF) lenses, as well as a maximum aperture of f/5.6. Adoption of two fluorite and two ED lens elements has resulted in excellent rendering with effective reduction of chromatic aberration, superior resolution, and high contrast. In addition, Nano Crystal Coat makes for clear, consistent rendering with incredible ghost and flare suppression. When the teleconverter is used with this super-telephoto lens, the electromagnetic aperture enables stable exposure (AE) with high-speed continuous shooting. The lens is also equipped with a vibration reduction (VR) mechanism offering performance equal to an increase in shutter speed of 4.0 steps. This new lens enables certain capture of the perfect moment for professional sports and press photographers, as well as advanced amateurs who enjoy photographing birds and wildlife.
The dedicated 1.25x AF-S TELECONVERTER TC800-1.25E ED is supplied with the AF-S NIKKOR 800mm f/5.6E FL ED VR. Together, a focal length of 1000 mm is achieved, making it the perfect combination for recording the dynamic movement or expressions of athletes from distances. The AF-S TELECONVERTER TC800-1.25E ED is Nikon’s first teleconverter to be constructed with an ED lens element. It is designed specifically for use with the AF-S NIKKOR 800mm f/5.6E FL ED VR to ensure the same level of performance available when the lens is used alone for incredibly sharp images.
Main features of the monster lens is:
- An FX-format compatible AF-S NIKKOR 800mm f/5.6E FL ED VR with the longest focal length in the history of NIKKOR autofocus lenses.
- Constructed of two fluorite lens elements. The lens is equipped with two fluorite lens elements used in IC steppers and scanners that require extreme precision. The superior transmissivity from the infrared to ultra-violet range demonstrates superior chromatic aberration compensation throughout the visible range.
- Equipped with two ED lens elements for sharp rendering and superior optical performance.
- Nano Crystal Coat effectively prevents the internal reflections that cause ghost and flare.
- When the teleconverter is used with this super-telephoto lens, the electromagnetic aperture built into the lens enables stable exposure control with high-speed continuous shooting.
- Equipped with a vibration reduction (VR) mechanism offering performance equal to an increase in shutter speed of approximately 4.0 steps.
- A lightweight yet durable super-telephoto lens with the adoption of fluorite lens elements, which helps to reduce the weight of the lens significantly, and a magnesium alloy, which ensures strength and durability.
The lens will be available from the month of April 2013, and costs about USD17,900, which converts to about 12,000 Pounds (GBP) , 13,250 euros or 1 million Indian Rupee (INR)!